07 May 2008

Reflections On A Glossy Screen

When I first heard the new iMacs were shipping with ONLY glossy LCDs I was bummed.

"I'm a designer" I said with only a touch of self-congratulation, "and it's impermissible for us to use a glossy LCD!"

Never mind that LCDs themselves were technology non grata in the design world not long ago; a glossy screen was out of the question until I realized...

These days I do probably 90% of my work on the web where color reproduction is about as reliable as font availability or screen resolution and testing my designs on a variety of displays (including glossy ones) was much more important than the accuracy of my monitor.

Now I only have one problem. I can not stop cleaning this damn screen! I tilt the monitor so the light hits it "just so" and buff it over and over again with the little included cloth until my arm aches; and then I buff it some more. I buy expensive pre-moistened cloths. I get far too much satisfaction from see my reflection in it's perfect glossy black surface. My glossy screen has made me OCD.

Edit: Changed the title.

5 comments:

  1. I also have a glossy screen and am constantly cleaning it. I hate fingerprints and smudges more now than i ever have before! Great blog by the way..i like you topic!
    -janeofalltrades

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think eventually theyr are all self cleaning. Thats my theory anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... don't tell me that the great designers at Apple have made a design error!

    Have to agree though.. with a new iMAC on the desk I really do hate the glossy screen.. the marks and the reflectivity makes it almost impossible to work with..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous Actually I don't really mind the glossy screen and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the new iMac to others. I just have this compulsive need for it to be clean...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a trick to cleaning the monitor-- and keeping the dust off. But shhhh! It's a "secret"!
    Everyone has dryer sheets (I myself like the lavender-vanilla ones by Snuggle). Just wipe the screen with one. It smells great, and it takes off the static, so dust isn't atracted so much to it.

    ReplyDelete