28 April 2008

Because You're Smarter Than XML

While developing Atom Syndication support for the new site I started to get fed up (ha!) with the standard methods of XML generation in Python. Obtuse and verbose, the number of lines of code it took to generate a simple feed grew to an order of magnitude greater then the number of lines it took to serve that same feed. I wanted something a little less error prone and a little more convenient than string manipulation, but I didn't need any sort of validation or schema support or any of the other things that make the standard XML libraries "smart". The end result was StupidXML, a genuinely "stupid" XML generation library. I've put the code up on Google Code in case someone else will find it useful, let me know if you find any bugs!

3 comments:

  1. I was never a fan of XML when I was building websites. In fact, the only language that I liked using was HTML, because it was easy. Of course, I had to use many of the languages or the site would be garbage. That's kind of why I started using Blogger. I don't have to do much when it comes to building a layout (in fact, I don't really do anything, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama is for CHANGE?

    Question? Obama speaks of CHANGE.
    What has he said about changing anything? He like most politicos goes on and on bashing W but when it comes to a real PLAN or telling people what exactly he plans to change he has said nothing. When someone talks about change to you, you should ask them what change? The NAZIS ran on the change bandwagon too, but you are too young to remember and your professors left that history lesson out. There is now way in hell that guy will ever get it.
    And not because he's fresh and new and black talking about change. But because most of this country sees through the crap and he has no plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to leave the previous comment on here for now because it's hilarious; but please don't even bother checking out his profile. It's just a click bait.

    ReplyDelete