15 April 2008

We Are What We Program

The image below, taken from the Google Code page for the App Engine SDK, provides an interesting look into the mentality of programmers drawn to specific languages.

Java

The Java programmer doesn't capitalize sentences or proper nouns as the language's strict syntax has left him with a weak sense of self and a "hive-mind" mentality.

Ruby

The Ruby programmer has a stronger sense of self but leaves the name of language uncapitalized due to his insecurity in the language and it's "celebrity" proponents.

PHP

The PHP programer's sense of entitlement is only outweighed by his inexperience.

Perl

In Perl, brevity is everything.

Edit: Fixed a spelling mistake as pointed out in the comments. Judge not, I suppose.

Edit: Fixed apostrophe as pointed out in the comments. This will teach me to post while inebriated.

6 comments:

  1. I laughed, now I feel like a geek :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you determining personality traits according to what people write, what does it mean that you use the word outweighted when the correct word is outweighed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @paige It probably means I rely to much on OS X's spell checker. That or I'm fat. Take your pick! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that i want to get into it, not at all, but my version of OS X (10.4.10) marks outweighted as a misspelling, in fact, so does this blogger posting thing. I do like the idea that language affects your outlook, and by language I mean the one you learn as a child to communicate with other humans, or any other language.
    So, we would have to go with fat, if I have to choose between your options, but who isn't these days? But I say we call you phat instead and say you are who you greet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @paige Lets see... outweighted. So it does (mark it misspelled). I guess I'm out of excuses, AND fat. I never could spell. Thank god for all those studies disproving any correlation between spelling and intelligence.

    Language is a powerful thing. How can it not affect ones outlook when it becomes the basis of our thoughts. I think in english, therefore my thoughts are inherently influenced by the language itself.

    Thank you for keeping me honest. If you get back on XBL I'm "Paper Tiger".

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, for one with such an extensive vocabulary and spectacular grammar, you need to work on your placement of apostrophe's...

    The Ruby programmer has a stronger sense of self but leave's the name...

    ReplyDelete